Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Concerned Colleague. A Great Friend. January 12, 2013.

I love caring people, and working in the field of medicine, especially pediatric medicine, I'm blessed and surrounded by so many people who truly do care about others.

I was scheduled to work a long weekend, meaning the Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night 5p-1a shifts. In general, even before pregnancy, I would be tired during the last two of the three shifts. As you might imagine, Todd and I are go-getters during the day, even when I know I'll have to work til 1am. Todd is blessed to have every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off, so that is OUR time, and we make the most of it. 

So much so, that at 1130pm during my Saturday night shift, I called him to say, "I need you to come to Fort Sanders; Dr Tan is sending me there now to get checked out for preterm labor." 


Earlier in the evening, I was completely fine, no problems, working my hiny off as usual. As the night progressed, I became increasingly more tired, with some discomfort in my lower back that would "come and go." It was associated somewhat with a "tighter-feeling" abdomen and for some reason that night, my feet were a tad more puffy than normal. In my mind, no biggie. I'd been on my feet all day (all week actually, and all my pregnancy as a matter of fact), so I wasn't concerned really. Well, Dr Tan was not about to let me go into preterm labor during her shift. Nope!

She made me stop working, lay down on the couch in our office, drink 32oz of water, have my BP checked by one of the techs, elevate my feet, all while she called one of the docs in our ER. She hung up the phone, and said, "Janice, you're going to Fort Sanders." She didn't even give me a chance to argue. She walked out of the office, and came back with another cup of ice water, and said, "Drink this, it will slow down the contractions if that's what you're having; I've asked the girls to get a wheelchair to take you over to the Fort." 

Mind you, I am not one that wants to "wheel-chaired" anywhere....not if I have a broken foot, a broken leg, etc. It doesn't matter, I can walk myself. Not that night, as it was not even close to being an option. So, I rode in my lovely chariot through the tunnel that connects ETCH to FSRMC, and into the ER. About 5 minutes later, my night and shining armor husband walked through the ER doors. If there was any benefit to this (besides reassurance that all was well with baby Tuck), it was getting a little more QT with Todd. I can never have enough of that =)

We registered, and they wheeled me up to the OB unit, where they placed these lovely monitors around my belly, so we could hear Tuck's perfect heartbeat,  hear every movement he made, and watch for any contractions...which there weren't any at all. I notified Dr Tan to give her some peace of mind, and we waited for the ok from our OB doctor to head home. 

Two things I learned from this experience: 1--hospital beds are TERRIBLY uncomfortable, so we WILL be bringing our own pillows and back support when this happens for real. 2--Hospital gowns are also TERRIBLY uncomfortable, and WAY too big and stiff, so I will be bringing my own gown to wear as well. (Did you know they make them on ETSY!!?!?) 

I always try to close my blog posts with thanksgiving and praise to my Lord. 

Tonight, I was so so so thankful that our baby Tuck was okay, active as usual in my belly. 

I am thankful that he is growing, which is causing my belly to grow, which is causing my lumbar to be pulled forward, placing more pressure and strain on my back muscles, likely causing the "on and off pain" I was feeling. 

I am thankful I'm able to workout, and walk, and strengthen these muscles in order to minimize this discomfort (haven't had any since this night). 

I'm thankful for my husband, who came in a moment's notice, even though he was tired, already in bed, and well on his way to a deep, peaceful sleep. 

I'm thankful to work with Dr Tan, who recognized that I wasn't myself, and acted promptly to ensure both my well-being AND my baby's well-being. 

I am thankful God has given me so many blessings in my life, and that He teaches me through every situation I encounter to trust His plan, and know He will take care of me and my family no matter what. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved working at Children's and even tho I've only been gone a week I miss it so much. Mainly the caring people that work there. :( Glad you and baby are both doing good...it won't be long now!!!

    ReplyDelete