Sunday, January 20, 2013

St. Jacob's Mennonite Community. Toronto, Ontario. July 2012.

During our time in Toronto, we made an early start Saturday, with a full schedule including a visit through St Jacob's Mennonite Community and Farmers Market, as well as a trip to Niagara Falls (next blog post). 

We took TONS of pictures, so I will let them speak for themselves on this post. But, St Jacob's was without a doubt, one of my favorite parts of our entire trip. We started in the downtown portion of St Jacobs, which was so cute and quaint. 



 The tourists drive automobiles, but the residents of the town...none other than the horse and buggy.

We bought 100% pure Canadian Maple Syrup at St. Jacob's Pantry, as well as a cookbook entitled "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" and yes they can! It may not be the most healthy recipe, but it will be by far the most tasty =) 



I mentioned previously that I grew up on a farm, so I understand the discipline and commitment it takes to sow the seeds in order to reap the harvest. What you are about to see in the coming pictures is one of the most beautiful harvests, with crops which are likely all brought in from the field by hand. It's so incredible, and makes Todd and I both want to buy a farm right now, and grow our own vegetables and fruit!


The Farmer's Market was PACKED! Of course, the Market is only open on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday for a limited number of hours, and Saturday is high-tourist time. I could have spent hours walking around looking at all of the fresh produce and beautiful flowers. 
















There were hundreds, and probably close to a thousand vendors at this market. I loved the people the most though. So humbled and thankful for our interest and excitement. They don't like their picture being made though. I had to be pretty sneaky with this last one, but I just couldn't pass this adorable little girl in her bonnet. My mom would always put a bonnet on me when I was little, and I wanted to go outside to play....especially if it was a windy day. I remember having a pink bonnet and a purple bonnet. I bet my mom still has them somewhere.

So, put St. Jacob's Mennonite Community on your bucket list as well. I would definitely recommend making the trip in July/August as we did. Perfect weather! Beautiful Market produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment