Friday, March 1, 2013

Tuck's Restoration Hardware: Part 1. February 2013.


Restoration Hardware Baby and Child has been the inspiration for our design in Tuck's room. From the beginning, we both wanted a wrought iron crib/toddler bed for Tuck. Oh the hours we spent researching different websites, stores, and even discount-options through friends, because if you haven't looked for yourself, let me tell you. Iron cribs are NOT cheap! 


This is the Joy Crib from Bratt Decor, and the crib we liked best through all of our search. Yes, adorable. Yes, just what I wanted. Yes, expensive, but this is actually the cheapest iron crib we found, and a style that we really liked.


It's a pewter gray color, and this is the crib converted into a toddler bed. I really like it. I really want it, but we have set a budget for Tuck's room, and we are sticking to it. So, if we want more than a crib and chair, we just absolutely cannot spend that much. What do we do?? I've never been one who always gets what she wants, but I've also never been one to settle for less.


Thanks to my, once again, extremely vigilent, patient, and persistent husband, he found this antique 1920's iron crib. It has many similarities to the Joy Crib from Bratt Decor, but I actually like the simplicity of this one EVEN BETTER!


Todd immediately saw the potential, and knew I would love it. However, he would not even let me go with him to meet the gentleman who was selling it. I believe that's because he knew the bed was super old, and would be covered in rust from where it had resided in his leaky, outdoor wood shed for years and years.


He was right. I was ecstatic when he brought home this adorable crib, which I felt had Tuck's name written all over it. I was however, at the same time, very nervous that it was rusted solid, and I mean rusted solid, every square inch of it. 


I've always known that Todd is very intelligent, and he spends countless hours (more than I even realize I'm sure) researching solutions, and discovering more efficients ways of doing absolutely everything.


He knew the crib would need "media blasting." I had never heard of such, but it sounded impressive, and most importantly, reassuring that every speck of rust would be removed. Once this is completed, the crib would then be in it's original metal/iron state. Sounds great to me!!


You have to admit, that it the cutest little boy bed ever, right? Let's do this. I can't wait to see how it turns out!


Todd already knew who he would use to perform the media blast on Tuck's bed. A gentleman who media blasts old, rusty, antique cars for a living. Hmmm, I'd say a crib will be no biggie for him, and it wasn't. We dropped it off Friday, and picked it up Wednesday.


Next stop, Lowes =) 


Time to buy the primer and paint. The brown satin spray paint is actually for Tuck's new chair, which I will get to very soon. We chose a hammered slate color for his crib, with the thought that if it doesn't look as great in gray or silver, we can always go darker with a bronze or black. We can also still do that as he gets older, and his crib converts to a toddler or big boy bed. 


This is just before we began priming. As you can see, all of the rust is GONE!!! We decided to completely dispose of the rusty mattress support, and not even bother having it media blasted, as it most likely wouldn't survive that anyways.


Not to worry, my genius intelligent husband will build a new one (keep reading)!! After 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats of paint...


Voila!! An old, rusty, antique crib restored, and PERFECT in my opinon. I was and still am elated!!!


If you are like me, you are already looking this crib over to see if it meets the standard AAP crib guidelines. Well, I will save you some time, and tell you that it does not. Afterall, it's a 1920s crib, and there were no guidelines then I'm pretty sure. From this picture (above), we still need the mattress support and springs, 4 corner-rods to secure the side rails in a "set/locked" position, and a crib shield to prevent baby Tuck from sticking his head, arms, and legs through the current rods. I actually believe there is enough space that his entire body could just slide right out....we can't have that!


Off to Lowes we go again!


We now have matching mattress springs and support that will actually hold up to 160lbs! Todd was really impressed with that, but I told him...we have a major problem if Tucker is EVER that heavy and still short enough to fit in this bed as a toddler or preschooler. 

We also now have 4 rods in each corner, securing the side rails in position, so there is no "drop-down" railing. It's hard to tell in this photo, but they even have a decorative accent piece at the top. You can see it in the next comparison picture. 


I LOVE looking at and comparing the difference!! It's truly like a brand new crib. We saved one of the rusty springs from the mattress support just to show our friends and family in person. It's incredible!!!


There it is! Our very own iron crib!! Oh, and I'm telling you, once you add a lamp, and a soft little lamb in the corner, it completely melts your heart....at least it did for this mommy =)


And if that didn't do the trick, the teddy bears, "daddy and me" book, and little newborn onesies will!! I have cried more since we finished (almost finished...still need a mattress) Tuck's crib, probably than I have the entire pregnancy!

The crib shield is by Breathable Baby, and is a mesh crib lining, so if Tuck ends up face down in the corner or in either side of the crib, he can still breathe. It's also taller than the usual bumpers, as it will be tucked snuggly under his matterss (once we have it), and extends all the way to the top of the crib railing. No hands, arms, legs, or heads through those widely spaced rods =) Plus, I just think it's super cute and sweet.

Oh, and if you're wondering, Todd discovered the crib shield as well, long before he even told me about the crib. He knew I would notice right away that it didn't meet the AAPs new guidelines. He was armed and ready. I love that about him.

I don't think I say it enough. Todd Mills, I love you so much!! Your consideration of me, my needs, my desires, my concerns in everything, and your patience and diligence to provide for ALL of that, all while keeping us completely WAY BELOW budget, makes me love you even more. I'm the most blessed girl in the entire world. Yep! Undeserving, but SO thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment