Saturday, April 20, 2013

Tucker Frank Mills. April 12, 2013.

Lots of family members and friends just KNEW for sure I would have Tucker Sunday night, after walking the half marathon. Nope! As I figured, walking was something mommy and Tucker were very accustomed to, thus nothing more than a few Braxton Hicks contractions and some mild cramping. Neither progressed, and by Monday am, we were refreshed, rejuvenated, and good as new. 

We rested well Monday, knowing we would have lots of time on mommy's feet as I was scheduled to work Tuesday, Wednesday dayshift, then Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday night shifts. That was it. Only 5 shifts stood between me and maternity leave. No problem!! Todd and I enjoyed lots of quality time and meals together, knowing each night, and each dinner could be the last one we share as a couple, before moving forward as a family of three. We had the most wonderful conversations, snuggle time, and prayer together during this week. God had big plans in store, WAY more than we ever could have imagined.

I worked my dayshifts Tuesday and Wednesday, feeling a little sluggish on the ride home, but always aquiring a burst of energy at home; some refer to this as nesting :) Laundry, Dishes, Bathrooms, Bed linens, and finalizing those last minute "don't forget this when we leave for the hospital." 

Thursday morning April 11th came, and I slept in a little as I knew I was working the evening shift....or so I thought. My phone rang at 9am, and it was the attending physician for dayshift. "Janice, I know you said you were on nights this evening, but the schedule I'm looking at has your name for dayshift today; can you come in?" 

Well, the schedule mix up is an entirely different story, but the short of it is, by the originally published schedule, I was on night shift; however at some point in time, the schedule was modified and republished, changing my night shift to day shift without me knowing it. Even though I was 2 hours late for my shift, I honestly believe this was the Lord's planning all along, as He again, knew VERY well what would take place this day.

Needless to say, that phone call jump-started my body into full-speed-ahead motion. At 10am, I started to feel what I immediately recognized as contractions, but not Braxton Hicks. This was different and I knew it. For the next couple of hours, while seeing patients in the hospital, answering all of the fun pregnancy and marathon questions from my colleagues and friends at the hospital, I was simultaneously trying to "keep track" of the frequency and progression. In my mind, I was having 4-6 contractions/hour, but they seemd very manageable,  nothing to get excited about.

After lunch, I noticed more cramping associated with each contraction, so I decided I better start actually timing these guys, and see what the deal is. So, for the rest of my shift, which ended at 430, I had contractions every 4-7 minutes, but again, nothing that stopped me in my tracks or took my breath away. 

I called my OB office around 4pm to describe what I was experiencing, and obtain a guideline for when to call, when to come in, etc. The triage nurse who called me back said I was in early labor (which I knew, but sometimes you just need reassurance from another medical provider), and gave me very clear and distinct guidelines for when to call the doctor.

On the way home from work, I updated my mom (since she lives an hour and fifteen minutes away, plus terrible weather was in the forecast for the evening), and told her just to have her bag ready (it already was of course....it was packed when she came up for the marathon). I would keep her updated as things progressed.

Once I got home, I knew this was it, our last night together, my last opportunity to nest as much as I want, and get ready for the big day. In my mind, I truly believed I would cramp with contractions all through the night, and we would still make it to our 39-week OB appointment the next morning. 

Well, that certainly wasn't the case. I had about 3 hours of what I would call "manageable, push through them, don't think about them" contractions, occurring every 3-4 minutes. So, I walked our dog Micah, finished 2 loads of laundry, unloaded/reloaded/ran the dishwasher, changed the bed linens, took a LONG HOT shower, packed those last minute toiletry and clothing items in my suitcase, ran through the "to-do list before we leave for the hospital" and spent some time snuggled with Todd on the couch.

It was at that point (around 8pm) when I sat down and relaxed that I noticed those "wait a minute honey, I'm having one" contractions. They weren't to the point of stopping me in my tracks, and I was determined to push through them as long as I could. 

That lasted all of one hour, and at 9pm, I called the doctor while Todd loaded the car, and checked the radar to see if we would be able to make it to the hospital. We got the go-ahead from Dr Moffett to come in to the hospital, and if my body really wasn't progressing any, they would just hold me in triage until the worst of the storms had passed. Despite the tornado warnings, pouring rain, striking lightning, we made it to the hospital, and checked in through the emergency room.

Signing paper after paper and initialling here and there on every line for both me and Tucker, wasn't exactly what I wanted to be doing while having contractions every 2-3 minutes!! I literally had to stop signing my name when they came, close my eyes, and breathe through them. All was fine in between each one, but man, these guys are definitely picking up in intensity now. My thoughts at this point, If they triage me and I haven't progressed any? Just schedule me for a c-section. I won't be able to handle much more of this AT ALL!

Finally, they came with a wheelchair, and shipped me up to the 6th floor Labor and Delivery Unit where Todd was wisked away to the waiting room, and I was asked to put on that dreaded hospital gown, just in case. Again, I thought to myself, if this isn't the real deal, I'll never make it!! They asked ALL of my medical history, family medical history, social history, etc, etc, etc. As an NP, I know this is the drill, but what a time to have so many questions! After all of the questioning was finished, praise the Lord, I was dilated to 3.5cm and 100% effaced. This was at 945pm, and they let Todd come to my triage room finally. Then, I was able to change into my OWN hospital gown, courtesy of modmum via ETSY. Mommy's to be: you MUST get one. 

My sweet sweet triage nurse was just precious. She called Dr Moffett, and they admitted me to the LDRP unit, which are the private maternity suites we had requested. Yes, even in the midst of my contracting pain, I definitely managed to mention our request for a private suite as opposed to the standard labor/delivery room, then transition to a teeny-tiny post-partum room. Thankfully, they had several suites available that night, and we were quickly moved into room 645. 

Anesthesia was paged for the epidural, my IV was started on the first attempt, a bolus of fluids given, antibiotics started, and the sequel to all history taking imaginable. Thankfully, my amazing husband was right by my side this time, rubbing my neck and shoulders, holding my hand, helping me through each contraction as it came.  *By the way, baby and contraction monitors are a great advancement in the world of medicince. The ability to see a contraction coming before it hits you is truly a gift. I have to say, while in triage, my contractions although clinch your teeth painful, looked like little ant hills on the monitor. That was less than encouraging. Only 30 minutes later in our delivery room, they progressed to more normal-looking hills but with shorter valleys in between. 

Still breathing through them, I was never more thankful to see a royal blue scrubbed man with a mask and OR hat come walking into my room. Greg. He was the nurse anesthetist on call for the night. Needless to say, Todd and I will NEVER forget him. He was quick, efficient, thorough, extremely professional, and was in and out of my room in less 10 minutes.


Epidural on board!! I can't tell you how this changed the entire game for us. I'm just as strong, and just as stubborn and determined as anyone, and more so than most. I have a very high pain threshhold, so could I have delivered naturally??? Probably. Did we consider a natural delivery? Very early on in our pregnancy, yes. However, being a health care provider myself, and after discussing options with many many of my professional colleagues who have experienced labor and delivery, we felt there is no reason to suffer and endure such tremendous pain, and potentially compromise my ability to progress in labor, which would ultimately cause complications for Tuck. We trust modern medicine advances, and FSRMC has an entire CRNA staff for their OB unit, dedicated exclusively to performing epidurals and spinals. More importantly, Todd and I are in our last hours together, our last minutes together as a couple, as just husband and wife. As exciting as it was to know our son was making his way into our arms very soon, I simply could not be myself at all until the epidural kicked in, and took my pain COMPLETELY away. And that is EXACTLY what it did.

Within minutes, I was my happy, giggling, normal, child-like Janice, full of excitement, laughter, joy, jokes, anticipation, and so much more that I can't even explain. Even my labor nurse said, "You're so sweet! Did I just hear you giggle? That was too cute!" Todd and I were able to spend the most wonderful, quality time together, just talking about our feelings of excitement and nervousness, praying for God's Will in all things, and especially in the next steps of labor progression and as we move to the actual delivery of our sweet little guy, Tuck. So excited to meet him!!  

After the epidural was placed, which was around 11pm, and completely in effect by 1130pm, I was dilated to 6cm. Those hills on the monitor are now mountains, and the best part of that is, I can't feel any pain at all =) I laughed histerically at Todd as he watched the contractions come and go. He was in shock and awe of the fact that I couldn't feel any of it! Again, praise the Lord for modern medicine! 

130am, 8cm! My water broke when she checked me, but apparently Tuck was socked in and ready to make his grand entrance, so no gush of fluid at this point. This is when my awesome labor and delivery nurse told me, "I think we'll have a baby in a couple of hours." She smiled, then walked out. Oh the flood of emotions that came!! I immediately began shivering like crazy. She said this was normal for this stage of labor, and that may be true, but I seriously could not stop shaking! Excited, nervous, anxious, overwhelmed, with a host of feelings I can't explain. 

320am, my nurse checks me and says "why don't you give a push with the next contraction, and let's see what happens." She never said I was "complete" or "10cm" or anything. Nope, just let's push with the next one. Oh goodness, okay!! So with a deep breath and chin to my chest, I made every effort at what I thought was "effective pushing when you can't feel anything from the waist down" and it worked!!! Big smiles came, and she said, if you push like that again, we'll have us a baby in no time!"

Honestly, I thought to myself...really? that's it? I didn't feel anything?? I can handle this. God is here with us, blessing the socks off of me and my husband, taking care of baby Tuck through it all. Yes!! Let's do this!! So I pushed through 3 more contractions with my nurse. Time to get Dr Moffet and the delivery team. Todd said they had the carts and trays all ready in the hallway. In a matter of minutes, I promise you, stadium lights came on, the bottom half of my bed disappeared to I don't know where, and there stood Dr Moffett, grinning all over herself.

 She said "are you ready to have a baby?" And you better believe, with a huge breath and a grin all over MY face, I pushed and waited for the 10-count, only to realize no one was counting!! Everyone's eyes were fixed on baby Tuck, and I nearly pushed my brain out of my ears! I finally gasped and said "is it 10 yet!!!!???, I need someone to count!!!!" 

Everyone laughed, saying KEEP PUSHING!! One more contraction and he'll be here!! Oh my word, with tears in my eyes and an overflowing heart, I pushed again, and YES!! here he IS!! Our son, Tucker Frank Mills, born at 340am. He came out with a perfect set of strong lungs, producing a cry every mommy and daddy long to hear. 


They laid him on my no longer expectant belly, cut the umbilical cord, then quickly took him to the infant warmer, which was right beside my bed, for his assessment. 6lbs, 11.8oz and 19&1/2in long, good strong heart, good suck reflex, excellent skin tone, everything was perfect. We were able to feed him during that crucial first hour of alertness, and not surprised at all....he fed like a champ. Mommy's heart is so full, daddy's cup is running over. 















We had the most phenomenal care from Dr Moffett, our labor and delivery nurse and her nursing student. Todd had called his parents and my mom once we were admitted, and they too, despite the stormy weather, had all safely made their way to the hospital. They were able to come in for a quick visit before Tuck was taken to the nursery. Incredible moments with Mamaw Barr, as well as Grandad and Mimi Mills. 




We are so so so thankful for our families, and Tuck's grandparents, who we know will love him as we do, and will teach him to know and love our Lord as we do. It was in these sweet moments I again give so much thanks for my own dad, who couldn't be here to see his 5th grandson, but who I truly believe is rejoicing in Heaven over his birth.



We arrived Thursday April 11th at 945pm, and Tuck was born Friday April 12th at 340am. I never in my life imagined it would move so quickly. We stayed through Sunday morning, and had lots of snuggles with Tuck, and visits from friends and family (apologies Josh and Holly for not getting your picture with him...we'll make up for that soon hopefully).





 





 

Todd and I have said over and over, we would not change a single thing. Our experience could not have been any better, AT ALL! It was easy, it was great, it was perfect. We are so thankful for the gift of new life Christ has given us through baby Tuck, and the free gift of salvation He has given us through His own Son Jesus Christ. As a mother, I can not imagine that kind of sacrifice, for the sins of others, but I am forever grateful to my loving Lord and King for His.


I love this picture so much. Tuck snuggled in the sleeping bag with his daddy; no worries...daddy's wide awake. By the way, daddy has yet to take off his hospital bracelet. So proud. My heart can't take anymore. I believe it will just have to make room for more overflow; the love doesn't seem to be slowing down at all. It grows greater and stronger by the second.


While daddy went to pull the car around, mommy strapped me in my carseat, nice and safe and snug for the ride home.




"Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I will praise you O Lord, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment